View Single Post
Old 20th October 2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Oliver Pinchot

Marcus, I should clarify that there is an important distinction in the context of inscriptions on arms and armor: when I referred to Arabic, I used the term to distinguish that alphabet from Georgian. The Arabic alphabet was used in Islamic cultural spheres by numerous peoples, often (as is the case here) by groups who were neither Arab nor Arabic-speaking. Very generally, this dagger can be distinguished as Islamic, but Caucasian is more precise.

Too, English can be confusing where the terms Arab, Arabic and Arabian are concerned. "Arab" refers to peoples of a large but specific ethnicity with a complex culture and language. "Arabic," however, refers specifically to the language and alphabet, not to people, i.e. Arabs speak, read and write Arabic. "Arabian" is now antiquated, but when it was in use, it generally referred to the Arabian Peninsula.

To this mix we can add the English terms Muslim and Islamic. Though both words come from the same root in Arabic, a Muslim is a person who follows Islam-- it only applies to humans. Islamic refers to everything else: Islamic culture, books, buildings, states, etc. And finally, not all Arabs are Muslim, and a large percentage of Muslims are not Arab. It seems involved, but as you know, specificity is an essential element of historical writing! Hope this helps.

Last edited by Oliver Pinchot; 20th October 2014 at 08:20 PM.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote