View Single Post
Old 6th July 2012, 10:10 AM   #40
Timo Nieminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Is that cord or fabric? Cord wrappings over the silver sleeve a very common to enhance the grip. Looks like a good, antique warrior piece to me and close-ups may tell wether any work needs to be done.
Cord. The cord has something gluey slathered over it; also the blade end of the hilt has the same "glue". Looks (and feels) like dirty grey-brown PVA glue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Rattan would be the way to go if really needed. Any wooden pins remaining or traces of these? A careful restoration should help to preserve this scabbard.
It needs something, at least at the throat, since there are 6 long splits in the wood along the grain, about 1/3 - 1/2 of the length of the scabbard. The back (i.e., the part where the back of the blade sits) is the worst. Tight strapping, especially with glue/lacquer will hold it.

I can't see any pins, wooden or metal, just two pieces of wood. Hidden pins? Considering that the two halves are separate along most of the blade edge, and a past modern regluing attempt has come loose, it would be good glue holding the ends of the scabbard together with no pins at all. But I can't see any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
No. Visayan and looks pretty recent (post WW2).
It clearly isn't a Moro barong. But as a taxonomic question: when is a barong-like thing a barong, and when is it not a barong?
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote