View Single Post
Old 27th January 2011, 03:03 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Trond,
Indeed a very nice example of the swords you note, and certainly of the type of these early heavy sabres of North Europe, and which are among the militia type swords that influenced the style colloquially known as 'Sinclair sabres'.
I very much agree with Michaels observations as his expertise in the weapons in this field is well established and respected. I also completely agree with Lees well placed notes on the widespread diffusion of these 'celestially embellished' blades into many countries in the trade networks.

Regarding the profusely applied motif on this blade, while these figures are characteristic of the elements of the cabbalistic motif of the 18th century on these 'talismanic' blades, they do seem unusually applied as a grouping. Though the use of these symbols did begin on hunting swords much earlier, they did not begin appearing on military swords until the 17th century as noted by Michael, and not greatly popularized on sabres until the influence of Eastern European hussars and thier sometimes thus embellished blades became well known in the 18th c. across Europe.

The blademakers of Solingen capitalized on this on thier trade blades, which became of course well known, and often copied in many cases by local craftsmen elsewhere. On this blade, the sword wielding arm from the cloud seems out of context as it seems to usually appear without the sun and moon. Also, typically the sun and moon seem to appear typically with a single large star, and only a few smaller stars in background, but not with the smaller solar figures.

It would seem possible that as with many heirloom items, this blade may have been engraved later with this motif. Naturally without close hands on examination it is hard to say for certain exactly when, but the style overall seems 18th century. The engraving is, nonetheless, beautifully done.
As always, I look forward to other observations.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote