View Single Post
Old 26th February 2012, 04:41 PM   #16
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish
You are surely right, that generally more smaller rings are a better protection against a cutting sword. But this is only right if the rings have the same wire diameter as larger rings. But such small rings like the ones posted above must have and have a smaller wire diameter. The last sample has only a wire diameter of 0.6 mm, compared with a wire diameter of 1.2-1.6 mm for a usual mail shirt. But the weakest area of a riveted ring is not the ring itself, it is the rivet. I was not able to measure the diameter of the rivet, but I assume that the diameter is no more than c. 0.3-0.5 mm in a wire of 0.6 mm (a paper-clip has a wire diam. of 0.8 mm!), although the wire is flattened at the area of the rivet. Therefore such mail shirts are extremely fragile against damage, which I have seen on my own mail shirt. Therefore I am sure that such mail shirts could never have been used for figting.

Best

by a blow or cut with a sword, the sword energy is divided over a lot of rings , also the density in the mail with smaller rings is much higher.
Therefor these rings don't need to be as thick in cross-section, compared with the rings having a larger diameter

example: a butcher's glove with even smaller rings offers protection against a butcher's cleaver!

Every theory is fine with me but i do think that this 6kg mail has had more function than just status.

best,
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote