View Single Post
Old 17th June 2017, 08:30 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Default Pattern Welded Straight Kris

I had mentioned elsewhere on the forums that Moro and Sulu arms will often show pattern-welding reminiscent of that seen in European early medieval arms and that I would present this kris. The blade is just under two feet (60.7 cm) in length and is relatively straight (it is difficult to be sure whether re-honings might explain the slight concavity of the forward edge, though there is probably a very slight opposite convex curve on the opposite edge so it may be intentional. Most of the blade shows two bands of twist-core pattern welding in the central panel on each side between narrow fullers. Having it in hand, it appears that the same two rods are seen on both sides such that about 15 to 30% of the overall original rod thickness remains (thus around 35-40% ground away and lost to oxidation from each face). Where the blade is widest at its base, there are three rods, one of which appears to end in a swirl seen on both sides.

I acquired this example for the pattern-welding and I have suspected that it is one of the earlier examples in my collection. I am most curious for the opinions of members as to the origin and age of this kris.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote