View Single Post
Old 25th June 2016, 04:59 PM   #10
CharlesS

To my eye the silver work on the pommel is not ALL necessarily born with it originally. I question most especially the mid-section silver band. The upper band appears to hide the joint where the pommel is attached. Among most Moro pieces this is done with ivory or horn inserts that are cut to allow for the curvature towards the pommel.

The ferrule, or lower bolster, is not the typical Moro type, that is for sure. I do worry a little bit about what I see as a residue(glue??) stain on it, and wonder if it was a working life or later replacement.

Most worrisome is the center piece. The band looks "machined" to me. Note the lower portion of it and you can see damage to the ivory and uncharacteristic staining, both above and below the band. Was this piece done to hide a broken ivory grip or a damaged one? Note also the staining or spill-over of some sort of residue(again...glue???) between the silver band and the silver cording at the lower portion of the mid section. Note, too, that the silver motifs are not a perfect match on any of the three silver bands, with the center one being most different. Look at the lines and how they are chiseled and how perfect they are... and aren't.

Also note the holes to the back of the grip...was something else there?...perhaps an open work band pinned on like the top one?? Is this a replacement for it? If so, poorly done, indeed.

Regarding the pommel, I would say it had at least been shortened(at the top) and am not sure it is not altogether a restoration considering the coloring of the top portion of it.

No doubt this is a lovely piece, but I think it has seen quite a bit of working life, or later, restoration...or perhaps a combination of the two. I wonder if the top(silver pins still present) and bottom silver bands are original, and the middle one later. Those two come the closest to matching and showing the same type of work.

Last edited by CharlesS; 25th June 2016 at 09:21 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote