View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2007, 04:34 PM   #24
Lew
(deceased)

[QUOTE=Gt Obach]honestly

when you think about it..... how much did those old blades cost to produce back in ancient times ?.. some the price of a kingdom...

and now you can get them for a song and a dance

Gt

I really don't think they would have cost a kingdom for a dagger maybe a horse or something like that. At the last Timonium seminar there was discussion about how much it would cost to supply a warrior in the Polish army during the 16th or 17th century the cost of a good sword was not that expensive. I have heard that during viking times a good sword was worth the equivalent of $25,000 but that was before good steel was available in larger quantities. It is amazing that when you see some modern makers asking $1200 for a small hunting knife and these guys claim they have some super heat treatment which they claim can make 5,000 cuts in a piece of rope before becoming dull. It's all hype and there are a lot of gullible people out there willing to empty their pockets to buy one. I have been there and done that and that is why I now only collect Antique weapons. Pendray is a great guy and he does not think that one needs to charge an arm and a leg for a knife you can buy a wootz dagger from him for about what you would pay for an antique one. Btw the funniest thing I ever saw was was when at an ABS cutting competition I saw big burly men trying to cut through the wooden dowl of a toilet plunger to prove how good there expensive bowie knives were you never know when a plunger will jump out from behind a tree and attack you in the woods so you better have one of these knives at your side

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote