View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:03 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Cool links Bill

Hi Jim ,
the Japanese horsemen often had a banner attached to their backs ....for identification purposes. They tended to be 'light' cavalry and many accounts of their battles describe that after the initial charge, fighting on horseback tended to end up in 'dog fights' ( the aerial type ...not canine ) Because of this ....rapid ID'ing of horsemen was essential to prevent 'friendly fire'.
My understanding is that the Hussars fought in similar manner ....using tactics 'learned' from their battles with 'Eastern' neighbours, many of which were traditionally excellent horseman. These tactics also did very well against 'Western' opponents...whom were unfamiliar with these strategies.

I suspect there are several reasons for the wings...they are impressive , giving more height to the rider, obscuring the view of those being 'charged' (making it difficult to estimate the number coming towards you..... making it difficult to make quick, counter/defensive decisions) and 'rapid' identification of the riders.

A nice touch is the fact the wings tended to be made from eagle feathers (an important icon of the area).

Kind Regards David
Thank you David for joining us on this, and for this outstanding addition! I had no idea those Samurai had the banners attached to thier backs. It is fascinating learning of these amazing warriors as well, and trying to imagine the dimension of thier presence.
Nicely done, and thank you for the great illustrations.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote