View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:56 AM   #4
fahnenschmied

Hello all, I will strive to get a photo or two, but as is all too common in the museum field - there are droves of people working with things they know absolutely nothing about, and the one person in charge of this exhibit is a former boss of mine who is the most unpleasant person I've ever worked with. Care must be taken to not alarm them that I am trying to somehow do their job, or show how incompetent they really are, etc.
I just thought it might be worth a try without photos, as there are many marks I can guess at from a description.
"Long rifles" are not of my concern at the moment, aside from the fact they are rather over represented here....by far the predomiant arm in this state - North Carolina - was smoothbore and of English or European manufacture.

Had the rear octagonal section of this barrel been shorter, I might have thought it was a reworked French trade gun, as the guard finial reminded me
of such shaping. Had there been lines on either side of the guard bow, I'd have thought Dutch. But perhaps that detail got removed in its rebuilding...

If I can get permission I'll make some photos...
fahnenschmied is offline   Reply With Quote