View Single Post
Old 27th August 2022, 07:33 AM   #40
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick View Post
Hi,
I would like to address the’bayonet, issue. I can only speak for mine as it is the one in hand. I have handled many bayonets in my collecting days 50 plus years and one of the consistencies especially for those manufactured in the 20thC is the regularity of manufacture i.e. fuller depth and length, length and thickness of blade etc., if you look at post no12 you will see images of both sides of my knife. There are glaring inconsistencies from side to side, the fuller is different on both sides with the ends suggesting they have not been ground in with factory machinery, the edge grind in different on both sides again suggesting hand grinding rather than factory work although this could have developed over time but again that would suggest the knife had been in use for an extended period of time as does the edge grind itself which suggests multiple sharpening over a decent time period. I did think bayonet when I first looked at the knife but the above suggested to me that that may not be the case. I am not familiar with Chinese bayonets etc., only with European/American style bayonets so I maybe missing something but I am relatively sure that the knife blade is not from any bayonet that I know regarding shape, altered or not, nor of steel quality.
Regards,
Norman.

P.S. Even if the blade was repurposed from a bayonet that still does not stop the item being a useable tool from a particular culture. Many cultures reuse items particularly those without an industrialised infrastructure.
it is not a bayonet blade but an imitation of one. it is an imitation of an SMLE bayonet and a german mauser scabbard.

the Bonan ethnic group still makes bayonet inspired daggers and knives today.. you can see them among their more utilitarian belt knives and more traditional daggers some times.
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote