View Single Post
Old 27th August 2022, 07:27 AM   #39
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyman View Post
I acquired this item earlier this year. I assumed it was Tibetan Plateau though I couldn't find any images of this exact type. It seems to be stylistically related to Norman's piece, so I thought it worth posting. Unfortunately I don't have the measurements to hand - if I have time to dig it out I'll post them. If anyone has any information on the cultural context, or even better any sources referencing these I would be grateful to hear.
these are made to look like bayonets form british and german rifles use din tibet. i have seen such things form china too.. they probably were made at a high point in the interwar period. they are not bayonets but look like them.
with a huge surge of more modern weapons in these areas such items as bayonets become interesting to locals. these are not made with any parts of a bayonet buy made to imitate them in soem way.
such fashions also occurred in the late 19th century in both west africa and also parts of west africa where you can find belt knives imitating mostly german bayonets i have also see uyghur examples and some from afghanistan. there is probably other parts of the world where such a fashion existed but i cant think of it right now.
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote