View Single Post
Old 17th March 2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Marcus den toom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Many good musketeer's bandeliers of Dutch type are preserved in the Emden armory, Northwest Germany. I took the following photos when attending that armory in 1987 and 1992.
As stated before, all these Emden bandeliers have a sturdy, pleated lether pouch with draw strings, an oval piece of felt for resting the heavy musket, and either a brass ring or a leather loop for a portion of matchcord.

In my collection there are three bandeliers from the Emden Armory, ca. 1600-20. One of them has attached a powder measure that is much heavier than the others made of wood; it consists of lead and has a removable leaden cap, both covered with black leather. I cannot think of any practical reason except a better prevention against moisture, but I know that at least the caps of such measures were sometimes made of lead in England, and I attached a few samples. But even then: a complete bandelier consisting of leaden chargers would have been simply too heavy, so what?
Please see also
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18290

Hi Michael,

I posted a possible answer to your question about the lead powder flask, but i am afraid i was a bit to early since you where still posting more images (etc).

Could the lead powder flask be some sort of weight to keep the bandelier in place?

best,
Marcus
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote