Thread: Solo Keris
View Single Post
Old 31st July 2006, 12:37 AM   #14
A. G. Maisey

Pak Mudi, of course you are correct about this blade in Dr. David`s post, it is a Madura blade, but as I am sure a man with your great knowledge of keris would be aware, a complete keris is classified according to the wrongko and handle, not according to the blade. Thus, one could have, say, a Jogja keris that had a Bugis blade, or a Surakarta keris that had a Bali blade. I have not infrequently encountered exactly these combinations in old keris.

Now, as for Dr. David`s keris, although the blade was made in Madura, it has been made to a Surakarta Kraton pattern. In fact, the people who currently make keris blades in Suminep kabupaten are the descendants of people who have produced keris in the same area for very many generations, some say back to the time of the Majapahit kingdom, and who used to export these blades to markets all over Jawa.

Regarding the dress of Dr. David`s keris, the wrongko was made by a man who is widely regarded as perhaps the most talented tukang wrongko in Surakarta today, and the ukiran was made by a tukang jejeran who retired from taking orders more than 15 years ago, but who still produces a very small quantity of ukiran every year.

The pendok is from Imogiri, not Bali.

I have some difficulty in understanding exactly why you expressed your sorrow in respect of Dr. David`s keris. It is a fine example of recent production, and I feel that to obtain a piece of similar quality might not be particularly easy. Certainly it would not be possible to obtain a wrongko from the same maker, as his work is under contract, and the wood that has been used in this wrongko is perhaps the last of its type available in Jawa.

Perhaps, Pak Mudi, you would be so kind as to name the empus who still work in Indonesia?

My own teacher , Empu Suparman Supowijaya, left this world in July 1995.

My very good friend Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo retired several years ago.

Empu Djeno Harumbrojo recently passed away.

Empu Mangku Wije at Kusamba was already an elderly man when I met him 20 years ago, and had never made more than a very few keris at that time.In fact, I do not know if Empu Mangku Wije is even still with us.

To my knowledge these are possibly the only men in the current era who have been entitled to use the title "empu", and Pauzan Pusposukadgo himself refrained from applying the title to himself, although everybody else did, because of his religious beliefs.

Please share your knowledge with us, and name the empus who are still practicing.

Thank you for your consideration.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote