View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2013, 02:40 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Henk, as I have already said:- "from the photos I cannot give a supportable opinion", thus what I am saying now is only based on an overall impression, to be relatively certain I would need to handle it. If I handled it I'd be looking at things like the way the gandar was fitted to the atasan, the cross section and weight of the gandar, the way the sculpting of the atasan had been done, how thick the atasan was, how the inside of the atasan was finished --- all detail, detail, detail, and things that simply cannot be seen from photos. Similarly with the hilt, I'd be looking to see if it fitted a more or less standard Solo blak, I'd be looking at the form from front and rear, I'd be looking at the cecekan.

My overall impression was formed because the scabbard has a sort of a clumsy appearance, it seems not to flow very well, almost as if the maker was struggling to produce a copy of something, rather than working from an ingrained pattern in his own head. Additionally, it is quite unusual to find fairly recent Solo wrongkos that are not fitted with a pendok. Much older Solo wrongkos usually come with a pendok too. An all wood gandar without covering is not usual with this form of wrongko.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote