View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2006, 05:15 PM   #17
Doug M

Just got back in...

One reason why my request may have seemed so guarded is because photography of ivory can be, well, particular. And I have been in contact with eBay sellers, for instance, who have been very defensive about their "ivory."

But not2sharp points out what I was wondering about. The cracks were also throwing me off since ivory ages and cracks. But is this due to the metal in the handle? Essentially, when I saw the first set of pictures, I thought, "That is bone." It is not uncommon to mistake ivory for bone. Maybe I can post some very old eBay pictures (a decade old, literally) of objects that are obviously bone but were sold as ivory.

Maybe one or two forumites who own similar pieces could shoot a close-up shot or two of his or her handle(s) to offer some comparison. Ivory that ages varies in color, cracks, etc. So while this comparison will not be as much a matter of A = B, it will offer more perspective. A grain should be visible at least, yet whether the camera will capture it or not is another matter.

Regardless, the piece looks nice, and that is the point, I suppose (from a collector's perspective, I mean). I would be happy with a piece like that.

You could take it to an antique dealer or auction gallery that usually sells ivory, and that person should be able to give you an assessment right away, the benefit being she or he will see the handle up close. This is, of course, only if the handle's material is a concern...

Sincerely,

Doug M
Doug M is offline   Reply With Quote