View Single Post
Old 24th December 2018, 06:17 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Having recently embarrassed a dealer by mentioning name, I am being cautious. Let me also state that I am not a dealer and plan not to be selling anything, though I have gifted a few people. Also, please, since I have had too many PM messages asking about sources to buy keris and dealers I have bought from. I am getting even chary about mentioning names in that I may open mouth and insert foot <grin>
Bill, you should feel free to mention your sources to anyone who asks you in private messaging if you want. It is only in open forum situations that we request that you keep such information to yourself. The open forum is not a place where any dealer should be promoted or disparaged for that matter.
Quote:
Looking over some articles on keris I saw one of my keris with a Singa Barong ( I think). I believe that most of Indonesia is Muslim with the exception of Bali (Hindu). And yet a type of Hindu symbol of the Singa Barong has been pictured on Javanese keris.
Yes, this is a keris Singo Barong. To my eye it looks fairly contemporary.

Quote:
There seem a few other questions, what about the blumbangan? Is it somehow incorporated in a non-traditional way?

What with the extended sogokan?
I believe you have misidentified the backside sogakan as blumbangan. The blumbangan, sometimes also referred to as the pejetan, is located in the area where the hind quarters of your singo resides. Is this what you meant because i don't understand your question otherwise?

Quote:
Singa Barong is featured in the Balinese and the Batak. I have a few artifacts from Bali and the Batak. Are you interested and would this be appropriate in this or another Viking Forum?
Unless the items you wish to show have a precise bearing on the keris in question i would say this is not the place to post them. The purpose of this particular forum is solely for the discussion of keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote