View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2017, 03:02 PM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsujinken
for those who did not know, singo represent masculinity. It was believed that this kind of Keris will boost your manhood ... therefore the correct miniature lion should have an erect penis
Donny, Alan wasn't questioning the presence of the singo's "manhood", but rather the un-eroded condition of it and other aspects of a blade where the greneng is so obviously well worn. The unevenness of the wear on this blade leads us to suspect that it has been artificially aged.
Roland asks "Artificially aged for what?"
In my experience current era blades receive artificial aging treatment for at least two reasons. Firstly AFAIK it is the current fashion in Jawa for even acknowledged new blades to receive an aging treatment. People seem to like the look. Personal i agree with you that when i have an acknowledged current era blade i would rather have one that is not eroded in any way, but i am a collector from outside the culture and i can't really argue with how the people who are the legitimate owners of keris culture choose to present and maintain their keris.
Secondly a keris can be aged to deceive. You say "the value of such a corroded blade is lower than a smooth blade with good visible pamor", but that is only true if we are comparing keris that we accept as being equal in actual age. The rarity of certain dhapurs in truly antique blades can overcome condition in terms of value. I do not believe i have ever seen this particular dhapur in a confirmed antique blade so if we accept this one as being an actual antique the value is risen above a current era example that might be in perfect and un-eroded condition, no?
David is offline   Reply With Quote