View Single Post
Old 20th February 2019, 04:13 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting detail on the colloquial terms used for these helmets, and the etymology derivation. The 'pear stalk' term did indeed expand from the British and European versions later. It is interesting to me that these are a form of the familiar and almost cliche' 'combed morion'.

I noted the aside on the "Man in the Golden Helmet" because it is a brilliant example of these helmets and that while in effect, a common other ranks type, they did reach more illustrious character. The famed painting by Rembrandt certainly added a bit of mystique (the fact it was from his 'school' not his hand not withstanding) and dimension to the story of these helmets.

The armourers mark you have added certainly provides compelling evidence of the Spanish origin of this example, and the Gyngell reference has been venerably sound in the limited field of markings compendiums. It seems that most cases known of spurious use of these markings applies to sword blades and perhaps sometimes in guns....but it does not seem as much the case in armourers marks. Perhaps that is an assumption on my part with my being basically unfamiliar with armour in general?

These are the times I wish Mr. Senefelder would chime in!!
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote