View Single Post
Old 15th July 2014, 12:06 PM   #145
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
It really is essential to the timeline and history of the type as you've presented it I think, to show a flexible example dated to the 19th century. As I said, I have only seen 20th century examples of the type you describe dating back to or close to the 18th century. This is a case where concrete examples are needed ascertain this completely. Otherwise I'm afraid it will always be open to interpretation because there is a rather massive gap. Best of luck with finding one and please do share when you do!

Indeed. What is equally interesting is the absolute lack of information anywhere connecting the early dynasty with the dancing sword. I take the formal guestimate of 1744 as the date of the first Ruler of the current dynasty but not a single dynastic sword clue exists and til now I have wondered why?

In seeking out the best contender for the introduction of a dynastic sword logic points the finger at the ruler; Said bin Sultan ruled with his brother for a couple of years 1804 to 1806 then singly after than til he died in 1856 off Zanzibar. During his rule a number of Dynastic items appeared including the Royal Turban and the Royal Hilted Khanjar designed by Sheherazad... one of his wives...and at some later date the Battle Sword was made a Royal Hilt. It was during this time that the strategic manouvre to develop Zanzibar happened...

Could it be that the dancing sword actually popped up a lot later than I am searching for... and that is why no very early swords exist?...Perhaps it was at the front end of his rule in the 1810 region...but that the full flow out to the regions and general population took a lot longer...(ie whereas troopers had the thing but the general population got it a lot later).... Thinking aloud...that could explain a lot. I have rechecked the Richardson and Dorr and few clues exist ...which is interesting. Their weapons make up a sizeable set of the countries museum stock.

I shall endeavor to research the archives at the National Museum since their display is dynasty dedicated.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.