View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:15 AM   #1
christek

Smile Epee for ID help please

Greetings all!

Here I have a beautiful (English?) small-sword or epee. I know very little regarding the epee except that they were often dress accoutrements for gentry in the 18th and 19th century. I have been told that the markings on the hilt, grip, and pommel may indicate it was made in Holland however there are no maker’s marks visible. I am unsure of the age of this epee. I am certainly no expert and may be wrong but looking at the great condition I would have assumed it did not have a lot of age, perhaps this was a diplomats sword in the first half of the 20th century? There is an age patina on some parts of the handle but the triangular blade is almost pristine and looks to be nickel plated? The scabbard is leather bound and appears to have some age cracks. A difficult example to research as I have found very little to compare.

If there are any epee experts out there that can assist me in my enquiries? I would be appreciative!
Thank you

Kind regards,
Chris

P.S I apologise that the pics are not the best, will post better pics if desired!
Attached Images

christek is offline   Reply With Quote