View Single Post
Old 25th June 2006, 04:43 PM   #11
cannonmn

Default One more question about my kris

Blu, I'm posting here not to hijack but as a question related to the pix of your kris posted in this thread. I notice that the blade of yours, shown in your excellent picture gallery, appears to be all one-piece.

A comment Nechesh(?) made about mine had to do with one-piece vs. having a separage "gangya" which term I did not understand. Another post seemed to clear it up with a pic of a kris blade with a separate "top piece" close to the handle which appears to be welded or sweated on. I guess this is the gangya?

Anyway, your captured kris, which appears to be pretty well documented (at least I have no doubts about it) seems to have an all-one-piece blade as well, and yours was captured in 1908.

Can I get a clarification from someone on the significance of the separate vs. one-piece blade issue? Where the issue seems to have been left, as I recall, on the other thread, was that a one-piece blade indicates post-1930 manufacture. But your pre-1909 one-piece blade seems inconsistent with that demarcation, so what's the real answer here?

Sorry for my ignorance of Southeast Asian edged-weapon terminology.
cannonmn is offline   Reply With Quote