Thread: Unknow sword
View Single Post
Old 10th April 2006, 12:06 PM   #10
micas

I work in China and I've seen a lot of these bronze reproductions everywhere in cities and little rural villages. The variety is astonishing. I've got a couple myself but simply as a reference to how ancient Chinese swords looked like.

I buy these bronze reproduction swords (as opposed to the fantasy swords) for about 5usd each or less.

My advice is never buy bronze objects in China or from China ebayers if it's being sold as an "old", "genuine", "fantastic", "exquisite" piece of history. Nor should you expect to get a real antique sword for 100usd or less.

I can't tell the difference between the bronze swords such as those at the terra cotta warrior exhibits in Xian versus the fake bronzes sold everywhere. I'm certainly no expert but I think it's easier to fake bronzes.

I suspect all the genuine stuff of good quality are already in museums, private Chinese/HK/Taiwan collections and not for sale, or in foreign ownership looted by the Western (British, French, German, US, Russian, Portuguese) and Japanese colonials.

English language material on Chinese sword-making is almost non-existent. Someone should write a good book on the subject - from bronze to steel. I've seen a decent one on development of Chinese archery. I'd like to learn more but don't even know where to start. But it's there in Chinese, I've browsed book stores with intriguing illustrations and seen the real stuff in various museums. Too bad I can't read Chinese.

But who knows, maybe some of the bronze swords being sold in those little rural villages were actually dug up when they were plowing the fields and I passed on some read deals in my travels inside China :-). It's actually not an uncommon event.

Last edited by micas; 10th April 2006 at 12:36 PM.
micas is offline   Reply With Quote