View Single Post
Old 25th April 2010, 05:57 PM   #9
t_c

Hey Kino (and Josh), maybe I can help with the confusion. I think I have handled these - did you find them in a bucket on 13th in stumptown?
If these are the same ones, they seemed fairly authentic to me IMHO - in hand they felt "right". I think that shop tends to clean up the the older, more beat up stuff they get (just an observation - not judging them for it). That could explain why they might seem a little weird (proportions off, etc). It looks like the blade and mace heads were ground new to make the piece "sellable", while the shafts were given less attention to show the age. This might explain the "barbs" on the spear head. If it was deeply rusted at the base of the point, I suspect someone just took it to a grinder or belt sander - it looks like the "barbs" could be "steps" made with a grinder (a little misguided creativity in cleaning it up). It's been a long time since I handled them, and I'm speculating on the pictures. Is there any indication of this on closer inspection?

If I had had more money I would've bought them when I saw them, picked up a couple of different pieces instead, but I still really like these guys . Nice pieces.
t_c is offline   Reply With Quote