View Single Post
Old 19th June 2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Ibrahiim,

Very interesting project!

I was recently examining an old Khanjar of similar style, with the sparse decoration on black background and I was suprised by the striking contrast with the scabbards where every millimetre is covered with wire stitching.

Could explain the significance of these 'simpler' (for want of a more correct word) scabbards?

Clearly a Sheikh could have any design he wished. Why not a fully embroidered silver one or even silver and gold?

Best
Gene
Salaams Gene,
Good question ~ It depends which area the Khanjar comes from but generally if its off the Oman Coast (The Baatina) usually it is completely stitched and all the leather is covered by the pattern whereas if its from the interior there is often a vast expanse of leather showing. The other main type is from the Eastern region (The Sharqiyya) and differs both in the ring number (TOTAL 7) and design... plus the Al Bu Saidi which differs in the hilt(derived from an Indo or Indo Persian) and it too has 7 rings.
Designs are fixed by tradition and silversmiths dont make designs which are not set acceptable patterns. In this case all we had was an old photo of The Father of the UAE in the photo wearing his traditional design. He could have had a solid gold dagger made but that wasn't his style and it would never have occured to him to wear anything so over the top as that.. He was extremely highly regarded and could be thought of as the last of the great Bedouin.
I hope you like the dagger style. The UAE Khanjar.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote