View Single Post
Old 5th December 2023, 06:27 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This example is amazing! and its great to discuss these early falchions, as honestly while knowing basically what they are, I have known little on the differences. Now seeing this example, and examining its character as well described by Jasper, I see some light in it all....and why this one is so unusual.

The blade profile looks very much like the example in fig. 116 (Oakeshott, 1964, p.235) however as mentioned in the Oakshott example it seems the cutting edge is on the curved, thus shorter side. As described by Oakeshott, the illustrated example is similar to the 'Conyers' type held since mid 13th c. in the Conyers family manor in County Durham. It seems that this one has some similarity (to fig.116) but with the point rounded (radiused) similar to hatchet point cavalry blades (M1796).

The example posted with the 'clipped point' seems more toward the 'Thorpe' type, held in Norwich Castle, which seems to be known no earlier than 1290, and as Oakshott notes, like a saber blade. It seems these clipped points did stay around on cavalry blades into 18th c.
What is interesting is that these obviously broader and more dramatically featured falchion blades seem to have Eastern European influence, rather than that of the Norse 'long seax' of the Conyers type.

It seems that the Conyers type with heavier flared blade is more of what I think of in terms of 'falchion' while the Thorpe seems more a saber blade with clipped point.
The example shown here seem a cross between the two.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote