View Single Post
Old 16th August 2005, 12:20 AM   #4
fearn

I'd also pitch in Stone's Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armour and Draeger's Weapons and Fighting Systems of Indonesia as books to check out for SEA armor.

So far as double weapon use goes, we can also point to European (case of rapiers, sword and dagger, rapier and main gauche), Japanese (Miyamoto Musashi et al), Chinese, Korean, even Native American (tomahawk and knife) examples, although we'd have to eliminate the Amerinds if you meant two of the same kind of weapon. Or not. We could easily add all of SEA and Okinawa to the double weapons list, and probably pop in a few Roman gladiators if we wanted to go that far. Basically, it's an idea that a lot of people have tried and a few have specialized in.

Personally, I think that using a shield is "better" for a few reasons: 1) a shield is generally cheaper than a second sword, 2) it's easier to use in your off hand (less learning involved), 3) it protects against incoming missiles better than a sword or dagger does, and 4) a shield is good for displaying logos, heraldic symbols, etc. Otherwise, having something sharp in your offhand is a great way of keeping people from getting inside the reach of your sword....

My 0.02 cents,

Fearn
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote