View Single Post
Old 26th March 2020, 11:16 AM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix
Completely agreed with Detlef and Jose. To add- I believe this particular antique sword (I'd say pre-ww2) comes from Iriga, Camarines Sur, one of the provinces in the Bicol region. Iriga is reputed to be the oldest among the many smithing towns in Bicol; they would call this blade profile as 'binakla.' Roughly translated, it means 'to be made gay.' The reason for this label is that the blade is a cross-breed between a minasbad and a ginunting (ginunting is generally a pointed-tip blade, with different variations per town). The foremost indicator of a binakla is a clip-point. I'm attaching a sample of a vintage binakla, as gleaned from the Facebook page "The Minasbad Shop."

The owner of the Minasbad Shop also explained that the reason why the sword is treated as 'gay' is because it's a union of male and female. The minasbad is viewed in Bicol blade culture as male, while the ginunting is female.
Hello Xas,
Most interesting, thank you again for sharing your knowledge.
So I have found a name for this both swords from my collection, binakla!
I have two other possible Bicol swords with a different blade shape, maybe you will be able to tell me more about them.
And a third binakla from my collection.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote