View Single Post
Old 4th May 2015, 02:01 PM   #18
A. G. Maisey

You can use other materials for spacers, when I've restored this same type of handle, I've used gasket material from an auto parts store, but I've also used brass shim.

I would not use wood because I can't think of a wood that could be relied upon to take the pressure. Maybe lignum vitae would be OK --- that's the stuff they used to use for bearings in marine engines --- but you probably don't have any of that. Wood would absorb moisture too. Not good. Nope, wouldn't use wood.

The pic is a knife I made maybe 20 years ago, rip - off of one of the old Marbles patterns:-

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...rble-Woodcraft

I think this pattern was maybe the most popular pre-WWII belt knife in USA. Great knife. I had an original for many years, some misbegotten mongrel thought he needed it more than me.

Anyway, look at the Marbles, couple of different coloured materials as spacers.

The knife I did has the handle on in the same way, but it is stacked leather, and includes brass shim.

I like old Solingen knives, I've got a lot of pocket knives, and I never move without one, but probably the one I carry most is a 1930's Dirlam. Excellent design, excellent performance.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote