Thread: Istanbul Visit
View Single Post
Old 8th December 2004, 05:28 PM   #4
Michel

Default Istanbul

Hi eftihis,

In february 2004, I did exactly what you are doing: ask advice from the forumnites. Yannis gave me the same advice and you should follow it.
Here are some further advices I received :

From Yannis :
Take care of your wallet and camera in Kapalitsarci (the main market) And if you want to buy anything bargain hard. First prices are always high. There, the best antique weapons dealer is Aydin Bardakci(Serifaga Sokak N°5-6). Take a look in his shop.

From Ariel I think:
If you buy an antic weapon, make sure you will be allowed to take it out of the country – they can be very strict.
Once when I was in Istanbul I bought a shashqa with Arabic inlays in gold, and to make sure I could take it out of the country I had to go to the Top Kapi Museum, where the director Mr. Yncel gave me the needed documentation. Maybe it would be an idea to ask the seller to get the necessary papers before you pay – if that is possible.

From Antiques (now Jens, I guess!).
There is one more thing I have come to think of, and that is – whenever you see a tourist kitch of a dagger – always have a look at the blade.
Years ago when I was in London, I saw, in a shop with Indian bronzes, about twenty daggers. With brand new scabbards and hilts, I did not bother to have a look at the daggers, but as my wife had good time, in my boredom I did, and what did I see. All the Indian dagger blades were 17th to 19th century – I did not buy any, and I still regret it.

Istanbul is a very interesting city, with an unbelievable mix and superposition of civilisations and cultures. Enjoy

Michel