View Single Post
Old 28th December 2007, 08:08 PM   #17
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi David

I am deeply impressed with such flow of information ... honestly. Thanks for sharing it.

Allow me just a little touch up in some paragraphs, for reasons connected with context.
As a matter of fact, Portugal didn't properly "join hands" with Spain to form the Armada. At the time Portugal's hands were tied by Spanish Philipine dominium, and the ships plus countless means of artillery were sort of "requisitioned" by the Spaniards for the battle.
I don't know that, if Spain had triumphed ( and it only didn't apparently due to weather conditions ), Portugal would widen its dominium in India, but on the contrary, due to Spanish diversion of tastes, Portugal existing supremacy in the Orient has drasticaly reduced during Spain domination.

Obviously my ( hipotheticaly right ) coments only seek historical objectives.

All the best

Hi Fernando,
my friend, these were not my own deductions, but a quote from the same reference as the previous material. As such it was probably taken 'out of context' and was just a 'simple' view point. I didn't check the references.
As to the Armada, you are indeed correct ...the weather conditions greatly helped its demise.
I thought it interesting how history could have been so dramatically changed by the outcome of a single battle/ historical incident ....for instance if Napoleon had taken Russia or if we (British/Allies) lost the 'battle of Britain.

Happy New Year

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote