View Single Post
Old 11th March 2021, 11:19 PM   #21
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ren
I love Vietnamese food but I have never been to this wonderful restaurant.

I think hunting for food is not the biggest part of the problem. Animals are killed for use in traditional medicine and magic (which are often the same thing). If I'm not mistaken, a piece of gibbon fur is suspended from Cerjak's Musket. Gibbons are sacrificed for hundreds of years when it is required to escape from adversity (for example, during a lunar and solar eclipse).

Another part of the problem is that people in the mountains have no other source of income. The government follows the path of prohibitions, but at the same time does not offer alternative ways for a dignified existence.
I agree with you entirely. I don't object to hunting for sport or to cull herds to keep the ecosystem in balance, but the problem in many places is that it's unregulated or poorly managed, sometimes as a part of overall corruption or for gross economic motives. Then it becomes a problem. Same applies to commercial fishing, the toll taken on the bluefin tuna population (just one example) to satisfy a cultural need and keep sushi bars in operation is unpardonable.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote