Thread: Research
View Single Post
Old 26th July 2015, 10:15 AM   #14
Jens Nordlunde

When I turned my computer on this morning, I was overwhelmed to see all the posts, and to see how serious, you all had taken my question. Thank you very much.

In one of the posts it is mentioned, that many of the members are not quite young, and when they let go of the handle their knowledge is gone. I too belong to this group, which is why I have started to write a catalogue over my collection, with all the information I have so far about my weapons, including some articles on weapons, which I have researched further than some of the others. None the less there is still a mountain of research ahead.
In a post somewhere on the forum someone wrote a while back, that it was very smart to make a catalogue, as it would add to the value of the collection. Maybe it will add to the value of the collection, and maybe not, but the reason for doing so, could also be to pass the knowledge you have gathered so far on to others.

I have been asked what kind of research I do, and a bit shameful I must admit, that I have not done any field research. I have done museums and their reserves, private collections which very seldom/never are open for anyone but te owner and a few friends, and then I have a lot of books, old as well as new and reprints as well.

Some weapons are easier to research than others, as they may have a name or a stamp which can be traced. While other may get the 'label' Rajasthan/Mughal or Deccan probably 17th century.
When researching I also find it important, if possible, to comment on if the decoration is of the same age as the weapon, as it was often redone later, either to strip it for a thick layer of gold, and add a thinner layer, or to adapt the decoration to a new fashion.

Thank you for the posts and the interest.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote