Thread: Greneng
View Single Post
Old 21st November 2007, 08:42 PM   #48
A. G. Maisey

Regarding the notch in a khukri blade.

What I might know about khuks could be written on the head of a pin, however, I do have a good friend who lives in Canada, and who, for the last 20 years or so, has been married to the daughter of a Nepalese Brahmin, who lives with them. Father in law was a professor of cultural studies at an Indian university, and my friend is a long-time student of the khukri, weapons culture in general, and Nepalese weaponry in particular. He is an intelligent man whose work involves logical investigation at a university level. He does not, to the best of my knowledge involve himself in internet forums and when I have raised this question with him he has indicated in a very forceful manner that he has no wish to use his time in this manner.

I asked him for his take on the notch in the blade of khuks. Here is his response:-

not one reason but a few.

the principle reason , which could be carved on stone,I was told by a nepalese of experience, not just a figured out theory, is to control blood flow, when chopping up people.

blood on the edge will flow along the edge to the notch then drips off the notch to the ground rather than running over the handle..

I tried it though with milk not blood and it works pretty well..

As well it forms a lock, when in scabbard bladedown and the notch helps lock it.,.

as well many people have told me it represents Mt kailas in tibet, where shiva is said to rest, so its religous symbol i.e. could be prayed to.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote