View Single Post
Old 28th April 2019, 07:06 PM   #40
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In continuing the examination of the circular markings at 'ricasso' on Charles' magnificent example as well as others presented, I thought perhaps the following might be relevant.

I wanted to add these two exemplars of what I am noting on these stamped cartouche circumstances, and which I think may be somehow connected to arsenal or some sort of arms repository. The first is the page from Briggs, ("European Blades in Tuareg Swords and Daggers", JAAS, Vol. V #2, 1965) and here (p.78-79) he notes on Algerian sabres, "...the ricasso is stamped (in one side only) with a circular mark containing an illegible combination of Arabic letters in high relief".
In the illustration he shows two Algerian blades, the second one with the ANDREA FERARA (which ensures a Solingen origin) and while it does not apparently have the circular cartouche (or it is simply not noted) he does suggest it is of the same origin (see fullers).

The next illustration is from "The Indian Sword" (P. Rawson, 1969) and shows a tulwar from Lahore (based on the hilt), but the blade I believe from probably Rajasthan or further Northwest regions. Note the squared cartouche at the ricasso in similar location to those on the Algerian blades. Here the inscription has characters which may be Arabic, but uncertain.

I had a sword with virtually identical markings in same locations, including the circular at center of blade which appears to be a trisula. In research I was told the inscription in the squared cartouche was Urdu, a lingua francia of Northwest regions which was combined with Arabic or Persian. With the trisula mark, I have seen others with what appears to be a katar instead of the trisula.

I am entering these as examples suggesting that this practice of deeply stamping cartouches at this blade location seems to have been done in Indian areas (with Arabic presence) as well as Algerian. Whether connected or the purpose I cannot say, but the comparison is for further consideration.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote