View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2005, 09:17 PM   #17
fearn

Hi Raffaele,

I'm glad that helps. So far as I know, having a weapon forged of a single piece of steel would probably not be a good thing, if we assume that the author knew something about Medieval Japan. The reason it's not a good thing is that it only works if the steel is of exceptional quality and carefully (and differentially) heat treated. Folding, on the other hand, performs two functions: it allows the smith to join two (or more) bars of steel with differing properties, and it allows him to control the size of impurities such as silica crystals that would weaken the blade. In the first case, it would be common to join a hard but brittle edge to a more flexible back, creating a sword that would not shatter on impact, but which would be hard enough to cut. In the second case, careful folding would allow the smith to use more inferior metal (i.e. one contaminated with silica, etc) to make a superior blade.

Making the *BIG* assumption that the Manga author knows this (which I doubt), this weapon would be inferior. However, it sounds cool and unique, which probably matters more in the context of the Manga.

Finally, I have to ask a dumb question: is this weapon an axe (ono) or a sickle (kama/gama)? The reason I'm asking is that the samurai carried a variety of "kama" as rank insignia, and some of them looked more than a bit like this weapon. If it is a kama, then it fits very nicely as a slightly exotic side weapon for a samurai type. Otherwise, its user is basically being weird.

This all assumes that it didn't just come out of the author's imagination. Fun to speculate, though.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote