View Single Post
Old 26th December 2016, 06:02 PM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

With the sabre in the original post here, it seems apparent that while it is in the form of the traditional type sa'if, even with an original grip and sturdy old blade. However, the sword has been refurbished in modern times with far substandard thin brass mounts, and seems clearly to have been intended as a representative weapon for use perhaps in parade or some sort of ceremonial wear.
Although the original elements may certainly have been 'combative', it is unlikely that in its present state the sword would be intended for same.

In collecting regulation military swords, I recall in the case of British swords, particularly infantry and often cavalry, the officers would often have swords which were intended for combat regarded as 'fighting swords'. They would typically not carry their decorative and embellished parade, dress or levee swords into battle. I recall certain patterns such as the 1796 infantry officers dress pattern which resembles the small sword hilt, and officers were apparently taking them into campaign in the Peninsula...to their dismay, and declared them the worst sword ever for battle.

With the Omani sa'if (often called kattara), while mounted with European blades of serviceable heft, these were worn as status accoutrements often finely embellished with silver repousse and fine decoration. The merchants and slavers wearing these were not with combat forces nor involved in such conditions. As seen in Zanzibar by Burton, a swordsman, who agreed with Demmin, 'how could these be wielded in combat?'.

Which brings to mind more on the open, unguarded hilt. While it appears conical, it is actually flattened much in the manner of the hilt of the khanjhar, a handsome dagger worn as a status symbol in Arabia but which could certainly have been used defensively in a singular situation . But would these have been used as an attack weapon in combat, unlikely I think.
This even more so as the modern versions are beautiful in hilt and decoration, but the blades are two pieces of thin steel melded together.

The Hadhramati sa'if as seen in the grouping of arms taken in 1888 is again, a dress weapon worn in similar manner, as many of these repousse embellished swords of these regions. These hilts would be hard to hold in battle, at least the ones I have handled in my opinion.

The point is that to me it seems that whether a weapon is judged as intended as a combat arm, or a dress accoutrement, a parade item or accessory or otherwise, must be done by individual merit. Weapons similar in form may have the character of combat weapons visually, but not be substantial enough for actual use.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote