View Single Post
Old 25th December 2016, 03:57 PM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

See http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=NIMCHA where the three charts of Buttin clearly show weapons of different areas but no mention on the charts of Nimcha. They all illustrate what we consider as Nimcha but the charts are by no means clear... There are however many examples and possibly many years work to exactly untangle all the details though there are weapons from both areas Morocco and Zanzibar which have D Rings and from both areas weapons without... The D ring is thus not a deciding variable...though in both areas there may be influence from Portugal or close by in the addition of D rings... To deepen the problem Buttin places a third chart netting in other weapons in the Indian Ocean and also Sri Lankan Kastane...etc. The huge number of "Nimcha" styles makes the study of this form well adorned with examples so we actually do know a lot about them although there is much to be clarified... Buttin has placed it all in front of us but I fear we have not seen the wood for the trees

Comparing Omani weapons with these swords is decidedly unstable since they are unrelated to the Omani Dancer. I cannot agree that the Omani flexible dancer is in any way or form related to a curved bladed Knuckle Guarded item...designed for fighting whilst the Omani dancer is certainly not despite its Terrs and Sayf mock battle contest..There is some suggestion in one Buttin Chart that a Omani Shamshir form may be related although I prefer to look at The Persian Shamshir for that link through the Baluch style already discussed. It may however be linked...Buttin shows several distinctly maritime cutlass blade types on Nimcha forms...probably imported from Europe...moreover his fine work opens up more research potential than it answers making this one of the great conundrums we have yet to crack.

If only they could talk !!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th December 2016 at 04:11 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote