Thread: Sliding weights
View Single Post
Old 20th July 2016, 05:56 PM   #68
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent Kronckew!!! Indeed, we DO keep learning, and mostly because of those here who contribute and share the remarkable knowledge they hold in their specialized fields. Also, that members like yourself revive old threads and topics like this one, bringing into them new evidence or simply new avenues of research on them.
Jens, we did have amazing discussions back in those days, and it always further amazes me at how far we have all grown because of them.

During these earlier discussions, it seems that the affectation of the 'pearls' in blade channels was included and found to have been from a Persian decorative innovation on blades. It was at some point transmitted to both Indian and Chinese cultural spheres, where they were popularized in recognized degree.

I do recall in rapier discussions several years ago the case of these 'adjustable' blades was brought up and as noted the blade length had become a 'legal' dilemma in Spain and I believe others. I believe this was also the basis for the folding knives well known as 'navaja'

It was interesting here to see discussions involving members who are sorely missed as well who have been long absent, and the depth of the discourse which brought examples, cases and empirical data to light versus some of the fascinating 'lore'.

Well done, thank you!
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote