View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2006, 04:57 AM   #18
A. G. Maisey

I present the following for consideration:-

Draeger:- "Weapons and Fighting Arts of the Indonesian Archipelago"

"---The rentjong is employed according to its length, which varies from about five to twenty inches. The shorter lengths are highly favoured because they can be easily concealed.The rencong is worn sheathed at the left hand side of the bearer. It is usually drawn with the left foot forward so that by a quick, short step forward with the right foot the thrust of the knife recieves added impetus. The blade is withdrawn from its sheath, cutting edge towards the enemy. It is then whipped to the right by a snap of the hand which brings the palm upward; the elbow is held fairly close to the body. The thrust is made by extending the right arm almost to full extension and turning the palm downward just prior to penetration of the target. Vital areas include the abdominal cavity, the groin, the throat, and the kidney regions."

Martosedono:- "Mengenal Senjata Tradisional Kita" ( know our traditional weapons)

"Jadi Reuncong Meucegok adalah Reuncong yang tangkainya melengkung, yakni suatu alat penikam paling ampuh ---"

Martosedono makes several references to the rencong being a stabbing weapon.

Harsrinuksmo:- "Ensiklopedi Keris"

"Dalam pertempuran jarak dekat, rencong cukup andal digunakan sebagai senjata tikam" ( In close combat the rencong is adequate for use as a stabbing weapon).

Note photograph of King Ubit, West Sumatra, seated, handle of rencong pointed up.

Note photograph of Achenese freedom fighter, third quarter of 19th century, standing, handle of rencong pointing down.

A handle with the 90 degree extension pointing down while seated would possibly be a little uncomfortable.
Or perhaps this is a dress convention:- by placing the handle in a position where the rencong cannot be drawn and used it may signify peaceful intention by the wearer. Similar conventions exist with the position in which a keris is worn in Jawa.
The handle must have the 90 degree extension of the handle pointing down---as in the photo of the freedom fighter--- if it is to be drawn and used to thrust.
With the 90 degree extension of the handle pointing up, the rencong can only be drawn and used to slash, and it is not a weapon designed, or intended, for slashing.

I claim no expertise or special knowledge in the field of the rencong, I am merely passing on information that is in my possession.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote