View Single Post
Old 19th November 2016, 07:38 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Or just slender (say slim), that not necessarily smaller; something also (or more) plausible .
Indeed, the idea of an entire pattern of sword hilt adapted en masse to accommodate an entire ethnic group seems patently implausible, however that circumstance is noted in references on British military swords as I mentioned (I believe it was "British Military Swords" by Robson).

As well noted by Philip, this cup hilt does seem to have been afforded some custom or commissioned attention, and the undulating (flamberge) blade something of a novelty. While notably speculative, I would suggest that these kinds of blades are typically regarded as more of a parade or ceremonial type feature, and that such blades are recorded in various Biblical instances, in guarding the 'Gates of Paradise'. This is sometimes associated with Masonic regalia such as the 'Tylers' sword which is often recorded as 'a wavy blade'.
Just a suggestion OK. Many Spanish military orders of course employed these kinds of symbolism.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote