View Single Post
Old 7th February 2007, 07:02 PM   #3
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hi Jens!

In this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3781 Ariel presented these as 17th century Circassian swords - akin to the Tartar ordynka. The running theory relating these to the flyssa is that Circassian troups were part of the Ottoman forces stationed in Algeria. Through conflict and trade, the form of their sabres would have exerted influence upon Berber weapons, leading to the development of the flyssa.

I have my reservations towards this argument, mainly based upon the small amount of interaction between Ottomans and Berbers (specifically Kabyles) who maintained an independent kingdom at Annaba, but it's nonetheless convincing. At this point the most acceptable theory is indeed that Ottoman weapons - be they yataghan or Circassian sabres - are the main sources for the flyssa. My goal - in time - is to try to demonstrate that the flyssa developed independently. If that's not possible, then the present theory will hold

Emanuel
I suppose the question will revolve around three questions:

1: What weapons were the Kayble people carrying prior to the adoption/creation of the flyssa?

2: What similarities are there between their old swords and the flyssa?

3: What other swords are being used in the same timeframe and region that the Kayble occupied during the chageover?

Once those three questions are clearly answered you should be able to draw clearer conclusions as to the evolution of the flyssa.
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote