View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:14 PM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Clarification of discussion scope in this thread

Thanks for these examples, and I am inclined to agree the period is quite likely around 1900.
The French Foreign Legion was not simply an intriguing military entity of what became recognized as an elite status in its exploits and operations in the Sahara desert of Africa, but saw service in many theaters and still exists.

I think it is important to recognize here that the intention of my original post and the objective was to determine and perhaps see examples of French Foreign Legion arms used in the 19th century from its inception in 1831 to the period just about the turn of the century to just after and pre WWI.

My use of the classic novel and movies of "Beau Geste" was to add some of the colorful dimension which took the fame of this unit into exciting history. As I pointed out earlier, although the book and movies were of the 1920s and of course later, the settings for the story were much earlier, into the late 1890s to WWI, the time frame not specified.

What I was looking for is possible examples of arms such as the Chassepot 1866; later modifications including the Gras, and the bayonets used with them. .....ultimately I was hoping for marked examples to recognize these when encountered.
These weapons in this group as well as any pinfire or the M1896 Mauser semi -automatic which was apparently used by French gendarmes are well within the latter 19th century period and more the objective of this thread.

With these kinds of topics where materials and arms used in the earlier period transcend into a period outside the scope of this venue, then that would be seen as 'carry over' in my opinion and kept as necessary perspective.
The case where items, weapons or material that is notably beyond the limits set as scope in this venue and initiated as thread topics is the problem, and that is well understood.

If I may suggest that instance of 'carry over' be allowed in degree for the sake of discussion as long as the content remains just that and is clearly to augment the discussion of the in period material, I hope that will be deemed permissible.

In hopes that we can continue on course with this, I have books coming (of course and hope I can find more. As previously mentioned it seems most of the references on the Foreign Legion focus on more modern weaponry even into present times, which I think has led to the warranted concerns on the thread content here.

The Legion must have marked their weapons, and I need to see if I can find pre 1900 examples of those types I described.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote