View Single Post
Old 21st August 2022, 07:30 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Foreign Legion in the Sahara

In recent research on the Tuareg tribes of the Sahara, the thought of the French Foreign Legion has come to mind many times. I recall along with the usual numbers of movies of '30s with military themes such as "Lives of a Bengal Lancer" et al, and there is the much remade "Beau Geste" which is of course where it seems most common interest in the 'Foreign Legion' derives.

While centered on the forms of the Tuareg swords (takouba), I am wondering if there are examples of the French arms used in the late 19th into early years of 20th c. out there in collections. I know that French saber blades were often used in the sabers of Mali, as well as some takouba (termed aljinar if blade is curved).

It seems that the Chassepot rifles as well as Gras (models 1866,1874.1876) were used, and in some cases I have seen examples of the distinctive Mauser broomhandle semi automatic pistol were used. The sword types used I am not sure of.

In the scene in the 1939 remake of "Beau Geste" it seems the bayonet used to stab 'Beau' might have been a Chassepot with the notably curved quillon.

In the attached, the swords are Tuareg tribes' takouba's, the one on the left has what appears to be a European blade of likely French origin (though probably Solingen made) with rebated point as per Tuareg preference. This would be termed 'aljuinar' .While this is from areas of south of Mali, the other more standard form is probably from regions in Niger and northward.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 21st August 2022 at 07:48 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote