View Single Post
Old 7th October 2021, 05:49 AM   #3
M ELEY

[QUOTE=Jim McDougall;266703]p.304:
"...here it may be remarked that the introduction of Jacobite emblems in the design of sword hilts described above shows the difference between the Scottish and English Jacobite. The former put these emblems ON HIS SWORD while the latter was satisfied to put them on his drinking glass."

This is a fascinating topic, Jim, and I wondered about the decorations on these for years. I was hesitant to say much, because although I suspect these symbols did represent more than decoration, I'm a beginner in this area. This quote you posted is amazing, though, because it does seem to at least possibly show some proof. I have definitely seen baskets with much of the above decoration with the popular motto "Schotland and No Union", indicating an obvious Jacobite sentiment. Likewise, after the '45 when the basket hilts began to be outlawed, Scottish regiments loyal to the King could still arm themselves, but their baskets no longer bore the hearts, triangles, merlons, etc. It would make sense that they lacked these details because these features indicated a Jacobite connection and thus, off limits.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote