View Single Post
Old 24th July 2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Roland_M

Default African small sword id request

Hello All,

I hope, someone can identify this African sword. After some months of researching I’m still completely stumped.

The well forged rectangular blade weighs 700 Gramm, measures 26 ¾ “ (68cm) without and 32 ½ “ (82,5 cm) including the hilt. The blade is only forged and neither grinded nor polished but has quite sharp edges.

The hilt is made from metal (probably lead or tin), which was casted around the tang of the blade and finally wrapped with leather. I think the leather stripes are blood stoppers. The heavy hilt is responsible for the very good balance of the sword (PoB ~5" from the end of hilt).

The leather cord on the hilt is a very narrow sword knot and provides additional control over the sword.

The scabbard is made from sheet iron and wrapped with leather.

I’m unsure what it is, a dance sword or real weapon? If it is a dance sword, it is a very effective and powerful dance sword.

The blade was a little rusty, while I received it. I removed the rust with a metal polish and the rust was very brown, not the usual red. Some years ago I read that this is a sign for real African steel.

Thanks for every comment

Roland
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote