View Single Post
Old 9th October 2020, 06:44 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Colin, thank you so much! You are truly a good sort to come in to support this thread and topic. Too often in the case when readers avoid entering on something if they feel they have nothing to add. The truth is that even coming in as you have and giving thoughts and asking questions creates a context for learning.
The truth is I know little on guns, but as a historian, they hold the same inherent value as swords in that respect, and both present opportunities to learn.

I had no idea there was a Bangor in Wales!!! and not sure of why this city is so named . Actually how I became interested in this unusual pistol was simply because it was from Maine, and I was researching ship building in Maine and a shipwreck. The fact that it was so unusual, from the same place (within 50miles) as well as from a location which I discovered grandparents were from, sort of really set the context.

It was interesting that this lumber oriented place was rough and tumble exactly in the manner of the wild west was intriguing, as well as 'why would a guy wear a single shot pistol in his boot?'.

People always think of these days with 'gunslingers' strapped with guns in holsters on their hip. The truth was, in town, that was simply not the case (even at the OK corral Wyatt was not 'strapped' his revolver was in his coat pocket) as packin' in public was not allowed.

As you have well noted, a single shot spent with one or more guys coming at you in a brawl seems pretty untenable. In the west ,there were small pocket pistols carried in saloons in similar context, which were cheap and unreliable and in fact were colloquially termed 'suicide specials' for the awful situation just described when they misfired.

With the pepperbox revolvers, their big problem was the likelihood that all the chambers would detonate simultaneously, with not too good outcome for the shooter.

I am not sure what the attraction was for the under hammer setup was, it seems to have come about in around 1830s, but the production of these lasted until around 1860.

Thank you again for helping me on this thread, and who knows, maybe somebody out there has seen something like this.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote