View Single Post
Old 18th November 2018, 09:27 PM   #15
Helleri

It's for kajal/kohl (an eyeshadow/eyeliner cosmetic). It's filled with the powder, then the long threads are unscrewed and used as an applicator (having an ideal amount of powder on it and used much like a spiraled makeup brush).

Where it is from is harder to say. These have been made and used in various forms since ancient Egypt. Where both men and women applied it in daily life for many centuries. They are also used modernly by some Muslims for specific medicinal and religious purposes across the globe. They've been used in East-Asia as well at times (prevalence and popularity waxing and waning over time).

I can say they are most popular in India. This is in fact where the fish form of these containers comes from. But the ones made in India for the Indian market typically have articulated scales and no applicator. Of course India is one of the first places to have a truly mass production and industrial minded market concept.

We see this with Indian swords as well. Where some of the most beautiful and finely made swords come from there. But also some of the worst and most plain. India has a long tradition of 'something anyone can afford at least a version of'. So it may very well be a cheaper Kohl container for those that can't afford a silver articulated fish with semi-precious cabochon eyes and cloisonne scales. It could also just as easily be made for export. Or made cheaply and foreigner to imitate the typically more elaborate examples.

I concur with others that this is not that old of a piece. Aside from patina it has rather thick cast lines and dull details (nothing was even etched into it. all details are part of the mold). It was likely (possibly still) mass produced at some point.

I'm familiar with this item because I've bought/sold several very similar ones some years back and had done the book research on them (as some may know I used to be what is now called a "picker"). Unfortunately I can't give you source as I've no longer ready access to the physical research library that I once did.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote