View Single Post
Old 19th January 2021, 08:30 AM   #3
daggpil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
Thanks, Ulrik, for sharing such a rare and unusual gun! All the more amazing that it dates from the 1880s, when the rest of Europe had moved beyond muzzle-loading into breech-loading technology using brass cartridge cases. If it were not for the percussion-cap lock, which had only recently become obsolete in the West, the piece has a very archaic look, reminiscent of the 17th cent. in Scandinavia and somewhat later in Siberia.

This gun looks quite functional and in sound condition despite patina and surface rust. Do you plan on shooting it once you've finished cleaning?

Historically, it belongs in a class with other fascinating examples of extremely conservative firearms technology such as matchlocks in the Orient, and even the same in remote corners of mid-1800s Spanish America.
Archaic indeed it is..as you say it strongly reassembles scandinavian rifles that mostly noblemen used 1650-1720 so called "Lodbössor"

I find it fascinating that they were so conservative but also you have to know that these areas in Finland and northern Sweden were very poor and hardly got any visitors/influences from the outside world. Someone described that part of the world as "The capital of misery and destitution" in those days.

Nevertheless, the creator of this rifle had a real sense for minimalistic yet beautiful design. Just look at the modest carving on the opposite of the lock. Simple but elegant and understated.

I have not intended to shoot it but you never know. I have a lot of projects going on and I have removed the rust now with just oil and fine steel wool. I dont think the barrel has been off since it was new and I just dont want to undo it from the stock. I think that I will leave it to rest.
Best regards/Ulrik S
daggpil is offline   Reply With Quote