View Single Post
Old 6th July 2020, 12:02 PM   #5
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Holy crap, Colin!!! That is a beautiful bowie knife!! Judging from the style of the blade and hilt (I am NO expert, but have handled a few over the years), I'd say it could range from 1830's (based on no clipped point, like the early types) up to the 1860's perhaps? The marking on the blade looks to me like (wait for it!) colonial Spanish versus early Mexican pieces (I, like Jim McD., love these types). The 'star pattern' with the dots at the end of the points resembles many of the American S Western espadas, Cuban swords, Central American types, etc. If my time frame is right, it could be a Mexican War piece or Mexican Revolution piece or used for the Cinco de Mio battle.

On the other hand, if we assume the colonial Spanish blade was used by an enterprising American soldier (more than likely one south of the Mason-Dixon!), it could certainly be a nice Confederate piece (I doubt a Union solider would have carried it). The 'S' guard is indeed a pattern seen both before and during the American Civil War.

In either circumstance, to a collector of bowie knives, this is a VERY nice and valuable piece!! Congrats!!
P.S. Where on earth did you find it??
Mark
Many thanks Mark, you've certainly made my day ! I had not heard of that battle you mention, I shall have to do some study about early Mexican and US history...

Can you recommend any literature about the knives and other weapons of the area and period ?

I have sent you a pm.

Regards, Colin
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote