View Single Post
Old 5th April 2011, 06:48 PM   #15
JUSTICESWORDS

Default The three holes in the tip of some execution swords

Greetings.
I am new here and I collect and have researched execution swords for some time.
I read here with interest, (as I have also read elsewhere on the www), people wondering what the three holes that sometimes appear in the tips of execution swords are for.
While some dealers of such weapons and even some authors have mistakenly stated that these three holes were for the attachment of extra weights to give the executioner a more powerful swing, this is not the case at all.
The actual reason this was done on some execution swords was because of a superstitious belief that had nothing at all to do with function. In boring such holes through the tip of the blade it was believed that some of the evil energy stored in the blade from beheading so many bad people would be allowed to escape from the sword and thus render the weapon easier for the executioner to “control.”
While in modern times we would look upon any sword as a common object or a tool, executioner’s swords in medieval times were believed to possess a “killing soul” of sorts that was always thirsty for human blood. It was believed that only the executioner had the power to control the sword’s desire for killing and that it essentially had a mind of its own.
This supernatural power and the executioner’s ability to control it were very important.
There is at least one case on record of an executioner putting a large group of prisoners to death in a single session. When the local justice officials suggested that the remaining executions be halted and continued the next day the executioner claimed that he was not in the least bit tired and could go on beheading prisoners all day. He then made the grave mistake of claiming that he would in fact have no trouble beheading every single person in attendance, including the local justice officials. This boast terrified the populace and they in turn had the executioner put to death because they now believed him to be possessed by the evil spirit of his execution sword and utterly helpless to curb its desire for blood.
In addition to possessing an inherently murderous spirit, old execution swords were also believed to provide protection for those about to go into battle. Coveted by early warriors, old execution swords that had taken many lives often had their blades cut into small triangles of metal which were then sewn into the clothing of a knight. In doing this, it was thought that the power of a sword which had killed many people would transfer its energy and protective powers to the warrior and keep him safe in battle.

I hope this information may be of some help.

Cheers, Steve
JUSTICESWORDS is offline   Reply With Quote